To attain food-security and self-sufficiency in livestock products through enhanced rural livelihoods to alleviate poverty.
To increase livestock productivity by ensuring prompt delivery of appropriate technologies and services through commodity based approach.
- To enhance food and nutrition security and rural livelihood through promotion of livestock farming
- To enhance effective and efficient delivery of livestock services
- To adopt and promote appropriate technologies for enhancement of livestock production
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of all livestock developmental plans and programs in the Dzongkhag.
- Oversee and guide Geog livestock development planning, implementation and monitoring.
- Facilitate and promote potential livestock breed to enhance productivity
- Promote Feed and fodder production to enhance animal nutrition
- Coordinate livestock inputs and supply to the farmers.
- Effective and efficient delivery of free animal health services and disease prevention measures.
- Public awareness and advocacy on animal disease prevention, management and control system.
- Skill and technical know-how dissemination to improve farming and management practices.
- Promote scope of farm returns through farm mechanization and labour saving devices.
- Livestock data and information management for planning and policy purposes.
- Promote products diversification, value addition, packaging and marketing
- Liaising with technical departments, stakeholders and agencies for intended development supports and services.
- Ensure sustainable utilization and management of livestock resources.
- Encourage youths and private sector involvement in livestock enterprise development.
Core products and services
- All livestock based products are produced (milk, cheese, butter, eggs, yogurt, meat etc)
- Free inputs supply like breeding bulls, AI facilities, fodder seeds and seedlings
- Livestock development activities through cost sharing mechanism (shed construction, cattle purchase, biogas development, livestock enterprise development
- Trainings and skills development on livestock farming practices and products processing
- Free veterinary services, clinical treatments and disease control awareness programmes
- Free extension services, promotion of new technologies
- Free transportation services for inputs mobilization
- Facilitate credit facilities from financial institutions for livestock enterprise development
- Promote public and community safety by controlling dog population through mass vaccination and sterilization
- Promote products processing and marketing structure with adequate cold chain facilities